Vegan Yule Log
Here's my first attempt at a vegan yule log. It's not going to feed the 5,000 but it doesn't look too bad! (You're never going to see me on Masterchef that's for sure. My cooking abilities in Ben's family circle are well documented.)
I originally wrote this blog post in December 2017 but have re-published it in my recipes section so the new August date looks a bit weird...
This recipe is from So Vegan if you want to have a look.
- 1 tin's worth of aquafaba (chickpea tin water)
- 100g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- For icing: 120g vegan butter, 250g icing sugar, 30g cocoa
- In a food processor whizz the aquafaba until it peaks (like egg white to meringue). Add sugar, whizz. Add flour, cocoa, vanilla, apple sauce, whizz.
- Oil bottom of baking tin, line with parchment, oil again on top of parchment. Pour in the mixture.
- Bake 10 mins at 200 degrees.
- When still warm dust with icing sugar, knife round edge of pan. Turn out on to a tea towel, icing sugar the other side, roll up in towel into log shape. Leave to cool.
- Icing sugar ingredients in processor. Spoon some of the mixture on to opened log and spread evenly. Roll back up and decorate with remaining butter cream. Use a fork to create the bark effect and dust with more icing sugar.